The 156th Field Ambulance Association Collection
A small collection of material relating to the 156th Field Ambulance Association.
About the 156th Field Ambulance Association
A field ambulance was designed to take care of injured soldiers temporarily before they could be moved to hospitals. The 156th (Lowland) Field Ambulance operated throughout the First World War, and then disbanded. It was re-raised in 1937. It operated throughout the Second World War and on 1st Jan 1947 it became the 155th (Lowland). On 31 Jan 1967 it merged with the 157th (Lowland) and 5th (City of Glasgow) General Hospital to become 205th (Scottish) General Hospital (TAVR) based at Yorkhill Parade.
The Association, formed in 1946, was open to all those who had served in the 156th (Lowland) Field Ambulance. Its aims and objects were:
- To maintain and foster the comradeship of the war years and to hold Re-unions and Social Functions at intervals to that end; and
- To provide for mutual assistance between members.
The association was affiliated to the British Legion.
About the collection
The collection contains Minutes, history, nominal roll, constitution, correspondence, ephemera of the 156th Field Ambulance Association. It covers the period from the founding of the association to 1995.
War Office: Medical Historians’ Papers: First and Second World Wars. Reports and Returns. Field Ambulances. 156 Field Ambulance. 1 October 1944 – 31 May 1945. 156 Fd. Amb. | The National Archives
War Office: Army Medical Services: War Diaries, Second World War. Field Ambulances. 156 Field Ambulance. 1939 - 1946. 156 Fd. Amb. | The National Archives
We welcome feedback from library users.
Contact us to let us know how we are doing or if you want to find out more.