Cowlairs Co-operative Women’s Guild Collection
A small collection of material from the Possilpark branch of Cowlairs Co-operative Womens Guild, Possilpark.
About the Co-operative Women’s Guild
The Co-operative Women’s Guild was founded in 1883 (1892 in Scotland) to educate women in the principles and practices of Co-operation and to work for the improvement of the status of women. It is an auxiliary of the Co-operative Movement.
Early Guildswomen campaigned and achieved much. Maternity benefits were included in the 1911 National Insurance Act because of the CWG pressure. At the same time, the CWG also campaigned successfully for infant welfare facilities.
After World War 1, the CWG actively campaigned for peace and introduced the White Peace Poppy in 1933. These are widely distributed today and working for world peace is an important part of Guild policy. The CWG today is still battling for social justice and is constantly monitoring and lobbying on social policy issues.
About the collection
The collection consists of minute books and members’ names, dating from 1914 to 1974. There is a total of 18 items.
Finding aidCowlairs Co-operative Women’s Guild Collection (PDF, 79KB)
We welcome feedback from library users.
Contact us to let us know how we are doing or if you want to find out more.