The Glasgow Angus and Mearns Benevolent Society Collection
A collection of records and papers of the Glasgow Angus and Mearns Benevolent Society.
About the Glasgow Angus and Mearns Benevolent Society
One of the many 'county' societies in Glasgow, the Angus and Mearns Benevolent Society began with a meeting in December 1838, at the Argyll Hotel, of around 20 or so gentlemen who had connections with the counties of Angus and Mearns. They would meet up socially once a week but, that night, decided to set up a permanent organisation which could offer practical help to those who came from the same area. Set up at a time when there was no statutory help for the poor, it would ‘afford pecuniary relief to its Ordinary Members, and to the families, and to other persons connected with the counties of Angus and Mearns, by birth, marriage or otherwise, who may be in necessitous circumstances; and also to afford such aid as may be considered proper to poor families, connected with the said counties for the purpose of educating their children.'
Although its beginnings were small, its funds increased as the city prospered. The Society lasted well into the 20th century, but it became increasingly difficult to find office bearers to carry out the work. Applications for one-off grants from the Society are now dealt with by the Glasgow Care Foundation.
The 'regalia' of the Society - the President's Medal and Chain, Snuff-Mull and Mallet - were gifted to The People's Palace, Glasgow.
About the collection
The collection includes general information relating to the history of the society, minute books, lists of members, subscription books, letters and press cuttings.
We welcome feedback from library users.
Contact us to let us know how we are doing or if you want to find out more.