Photograph of Belvidere House, Glasgow taken from The Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Belvidere House, Glasgow (Thomas Annan, 1870).
Thomas Annan (1829 -1887) was the son of a Fife farmer and flax spinner and lived for most of his life in Glasgow. After training and working as a copperplate engraver, he set up a photographic studio in Sauchiehall Street in 1857. Annan concentrated initially on architectural photography but then turned his attention to portraits.
In 1866 Annan was commissioned by Glasgow City Improvement Trust to photograph slum areas in the old part of the city before urban renewal took place. This resulted in the landmark series of photographs, Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow, taken between 1868 and 1871. More about Thomas Annan.
Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow, 1871, 1877, 1900
Memorials of the Old College of Glasgow, 1871
The painted windows of Glasgow Cathedral, 1867
Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry, 1870
THOMAS ANNAN, PHOTOGRAPHER, Respectfully intimates that he has Extended his Premises at 202 Hope Street And engaged Skilful Asisstants, for the Production of PLAIN and COLOURED Portraits. He also continues the Practice of Landscape, Architectural, and Engineering Photography,; the Reproduction of Paintings, Engravings, Plans, Drawings, Manuscripts, &c, &c.
Photo- Printing Establishment – Burnbank Road, Hamilton.
Glasgow Herald, 25th September 1869, p7e